G. Ortega Law offers legal counsel for mid-market companies and community banks of all industries in a wide range of matters. We believe in building a connection and relationship with you to understand your goals and objectives to offer personalized representation and counsel for your legal needs. The main thing you need to know about Giancarlo Ortega, our principal attorney, is that he and our of counsel attorneys work tirelessly to your interests and optimize your organization’s performance.
Founded in 2017, G. Ortega Law has assisted in numerous matters, including:
· $60 million debt restructuring for an E&P company
· $20 million private placements
· Counseled $20 million energy service provider during a Chapter 11 bankruptcy
· Led a $100 million nationwide contracting company to profitability after their CFO committed fraud, also negotiating a $16 million revolving line of credit and $10 million real estate loan
· Led a medical practice out of a workout by facilitating a $5 million credit facility
· Restructured a healthcare service provider, saving the provider approximately $100,000 per year
At G. Ortega Law, we deliver exceptional legal services to help mitigate risks and encourage maximum profitability for companies and community banks of all types. Move forward with confidence with the help of our team at G. Ortega Law.
H2: Giancarlo “John” Ortega – Houston General Counsel
Giancarlo “John” Ortega is the principal of G. Ortega Law and represents businesses and community banks on a wide range of matters, including corporate governance, compliance, regulatory, cybersecurity, contract negotiation, M&A, and lending transactions. He has served as general counsel for community banks, offered legal counsel for M&A and branch acquisition transactions, and provided legal guidance for various loan transactions, compliance, and corporate governance.
Another important element about Giancarlo Ortega that helps him serve clients at G. Ortega Law is his extensive experience in the banking and commercial sectors. John Ortega has nearly 20 years of experience of banking and business experience, which informs his understanding of the real challenges companies and community banks face.
Mr. Ortega has worked with JP Morgan Chase and Wells Fargo Bank, as well as founded Houston Business Bank, where he served as director, president, and chief executive officer. Houston Business Bank was a commercial bank which was one of only four charters awarded in Texas at that time and one of less than a dozen banks to receive FDIC insurance nationally in 2009. Houston Business Bank then merged with Texas First Bank in 2012.
Just as he did as a banker, Ortega offers a relationship-driven approach to the practice of law. Today, Ortega’s experience in business and banking allow him unique insights and perspective into legal matters bankers and business owners face and help him offer practical, goal-oriented counsel.
· LL.M. – Banking and Financial Law, Boston University
· J.D. Juris Doctor, University of North Dakota
· B.B.A. – Finance, Baylor University
· Southwest Graduate School of Banking, Southern Methodist University
· Graduate School of Bank Investments & Finance Management, University of South Carolina
· Texas Bankers Association
· Southwest Association of Bank Counsel
Honors & Awards
· Houston Business Journal’s 40 under 40 Award – 2011
· Pillar of Fairness Award for the North Side Independent School District, San Antonio, Texas – 2012
· North Dakota
David Gerszewski offers years of experience in the financial and commercial industries to help inform the practical legal counsel he provides to corporate and banking clients. Gerszewski spent ten years of his career at Wall Street Investment banks as offering proprietary speculation in interest rates, currency, credit, and commodity derivatives and another ten years providing risk management solutions for multi-billion dollar European-based hedge funds.
Gerszewski also developed and sold a successful restaurant franchise concept which quickly became popular in southern Brazil before returning to the U.S. to practice law. David’s practice focuses on trusts, estates, asset protection, tax controversy, and structuring tax-efficient wealth transfer strategies. Gerszewski also serves as an of counsel attorney for G. Ortega Law.
· J.D. Juris Doctor, Arizona State University College of Law
· M.Sc. – International Security, University of London, England
· M.S. – Applied Statistics, Arizona State University
· B.S. – Decision Sciences, University of Denver
· North Dakota
· United States Tax Court
· United States of Federal Claims
· United States Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
· United States Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
· United States Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
· United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
· United States Court of Appeals, Veterans Claims